Don’t Worry. It Will Grow Back.


I’m hoping that there’s no more snow this year.  Spring starts in just two weeks.  I can handle a flurry or two.  But please, nothing we can measure in inches.  I’ve had enough.  Do you wanna hear my story about the first snow of the year?  Sure you do.

It was New Years Day.  There was some fresh snow on the ground.  I actually cooked.  I made a pork roast, kraut and mashed potatoes.  We were having a pretty lazy day and the kids were being good.  Great way to start off the year.  We ate dinner a little early (smelling it all day can do that to ya!), and the kids asked if they could go out sled riding.

Let me interject a little something here.  Back before Tony and I got married, I had one condition.  Not about the marriage, but about kids.  I told him that if and when we had kids, he would have to be in charge of any of the snow related activities.  I hate the snow.  Don’t like being in it, feeling it, smelling it or looking at it.  That was the deal.  And I’ve held him to it.  I’m not quite sure why we live HERE, where it SNOWS.  But, whatever.

So, back to January first.  Sled riding.  Fine.  The day before I had just bought new snow pants for the girls.  We get them all bundled up like Randy from A Christmas Story, and out they go.

So, off they go to the backyard. We have a gigantic sled riding hill just past the yard. It’s not actually OURS, but belongs to the homeowners association. Anywho, there were some older boys sled riding earlier in the day, and the temptation just sucked the girls in. And I had the house to myself for a while. Bonus. I even took a picture of them out in the snow:

Not a lot of snow, but enough for a few rides.  Well, here’s the next picture I took:

Yup, that’s Chloe in the emergency room.  Earlier in the day the boys had built a little ramp in the snow.  Tony was steering the kids clear of the ramp.  But as the kids got braver and braver, they went higher and higher up the hill.  As Chloe went down, she hit a little divet and headed straight for the jump.  And landed.  On her shoulder.  And broke her collar bone.

I didn’t realize at first that she had broken her collar bone.  Nothing was sticking out.  But her cries.  They went straight through my heart.  That’s how I could tell that something was REALLY wrong.  So, we packed it up and headed to the Emergency room.  When we told her that we were going to the hospital, the cries stopped.  I think she was happy to be going so that she could get some relief from the pain.

She was a total trooper.  Calm and collected the entire way.  Polite with the doctor.  Not complaining a bit.  Here’s the next picture I took:

We had a few rough nights with her sleeping, but all in all she was a great patient.  And because I waited so long to tell you this little story, I can tell you the ending.  Which rocks.  She had to wear the sling for about four weeks.  We went to the orthopedic doctor on that last day, they took another x-ray and decided that she could officially remove the sling.  In the doctor’s office, after the doctor left, I handed her the sling and asked if she waned to put it in the trash.  She gladly grabbed the sling and slam dunked that thing.

We headed outside of the doctor’s office, sunlight on our faces.  Chloe looked at me, raised both arms over her head (which she hadn’t done in exactly four weeks) and exclaimed “This is the best day of my life!!!!”

She just cracks me up.

OK…I’ll catch you up on some more stuff soon!

Leave a Reply