You: The Peeping Tom Seeing My MorningBy
I don’t really know if my family and friends know what happens during a typical Heather morning. I can’t imagine that they do know. So, just in case anybody cares (and to make myself feel a little better), here’s how my morning went. Today was an easy one, because we didn’t have to leave the house at all. Well, just a quick run to the bus stop. So, here it goes:
- 4:30 am – Wake up to see 3 year old in front of my face, asking for milk. Realize that I’m in Becca’s bed, and fell asleep around 9:15.
- 5:00 am – Think that it’s a good idea to wake up and get some stuff done. And I actually wake up.
- 5:00-5:45 – Spend some quality time with the husband, who has not gone to bed yet. He also thinks that it is currently still THURSDAY. I continue to correct him, telling him that it’s FRIDAY.
- 5:45-6:00 – Watch 15 minutes of the news. Wish I looked as good as Sonni Abatta.
- 6:00-6:25 – Watch ‘The Office.’ Laugh. It was a good one.
- 6:25-7:00 – Make large pot of coffee. Check e-mail. Log in the numbers from the restaurant last night. Prepare deposit. Figure out the change order. Update our POS system for Friday specials.
- 7:00-7:05 – Drink more coffee. Smoke another cigarette
- 7:05-7:06 – Start vacuuming a plethora of nerds candy from the family room. Realize that it’s 7:06, and decide I need to shower
- 7:06 – 7:35 – Wake Becca. Iron her outfit. Wake her again. Brush teeth, shower, greet crazy-haired Chloe, help Becca into her tights and dress. Come downstairs. Finish vacuuming aforementioned nerds.
- 7:36 – Yell upstairs for everybody to hurry – we have 19 minutes
- 7:36-7:55 – Pack a lunch, make a waffle, drink more coffee, have a smoke, find missing glove for Becca, brush Becca’s hair, grab almost-forgotten library book for Becca. Pack one pretty-looking sweetheart and one bed-head, pajama-clad, slipper-wearing sweetheart into car for 1 block ride to bus stop (it was cold!)
- 8:05-8:10 – Turn show on for Chloe, sit down to write blog post for Downey’s House
- 8:10-8:11 – Get Chloe a banana
- 8:11-8:30 – Finish blog post, check some forums and twitter. See that CafePress is down. Complain about it on twitter
- 8:30-8:31 – Put another television show on for Chloe
- 8:31-8:45 – Hang out with Chloe, tickling her until she begs me to stop
- 8:45-9:05 – Finish up with checking sales and stats online. Look up code numbers for the liquor I’m about to order
- 9:05-9:06 – Get Chloe some strawberries
- 9:06-9:15 – Order the liquor, enter amount into Quickbooks
- 9:15-9:45 – Help Chloe make Kool-Aid for her ‘Lemonade Stand.’ A lemonade stand where there are two customers: Me and a small stuffed bear. Play lemonade stand.
- 9:45-9:55 – Start dusting and cleaning the glass in the family room. Decide I’m not in the mood to really do much more cleaning right now.
- 9:55-10:05 – Spend 10 minutes searching for a copy of our new menu that Tony wrote revisions on. Finally give up, and hope I remember the revisions.
- 10:05-10:10 – Take phone call from the restaurant
- 10:10-10:11 – Start menu revisions
- 10:11-10:12 – Cut up an apple for Chloe
- 10:12-10:20 – Work on the revisions some more
- 10:20-10:22 – Help Chloe in the potty
- 10:22-10:30 – Finish with the revisions. Hope I got them all.
- 10:30-10:33 – Re-wash the laundry I left in the washing machine overnight. Freshen up clothes in dryer
- 10:33-11:00 – Print up a copy of the fixed menu. Remember that I also need employment apps printed up. Do that. Deal with my desktop and what my security scan found.
- 11:00-11:20 – Fold the laundry with Chloe. Yes, it takes that long.
- 11:20-11:23 – Sit down to sign our corporate tax returns
- 11:23-11:24 – Get Chloe some carrots
- 11:24-11:30 – Decide to boil some eggs. Smoke a cigarette
- 11:30-11:45 – Fart around on the internet. Still annoyed that CafePress is farked up.
- 11:45-11:50 – Sew up the back of Chloe’s Build-A-Bear
- 11:50-12:00 – Get the eggs from the stove. Decide to write this post.
- 12:00-12:03 – Make toast for Chloe
- 12:03-12:10 – Continue with post
- 12:10-12:11 – Get a hard boiled egg for Chloe
- 12:11-12:16 – Continue with post
- 12:16-12:17 – Make witty remark on Twitter. Well, I thought it was witty
- 12:17-12:20 – More blog post
- 12:20-12:22 – Get Chloe some Kool-Aid
- 12:22-12:30 (now) more blog post.
So, there’s my morning so far. The thrilling life of a work-at-home-business-owner-mom. You know, throughout this time line, there’s the conversations I have with Chloe. Well, they’re not really conversations. It’s more like a question and answer period. That lasts, um, all day. These kinds of mornings are actually my favorite. I get some business stuff accomplished, get some housework (sort of) accomplished, I get to be social with my online friends, and I get to hang out with my Chloe.
Now, I’m gonna go and make myself some egg salad. I did sneak a granola bar in sometime around 8:00. But I’m hungry!
Want to follow me on twitter? I’m at twitter.com/hdowney